Wednesday 2 January 2013

365 Project: Photo 002

Last night, having just committed to this project, I was starting to wonder what on Earth I'm going to find to take a photo of every day but today has not been difficult. When I woke up this morning there was a very strange orange glow smoothly gliding past our otherwise industrial strength, lead-lined curtains. I pointed it out to my wife and asked, only half jokingly, if the world was on fire. I peeled back the curtain to reveal one of the best sunsets I have seen in years; I was in an African desert the last time I saw a sky as orange as that.

In a perfect world I'd be back in that desert, I'd have been up before first light, I'd be taking my time and using graduated neutral density filters on my best camera to balance out the exposure of the sky and the land as I composed a shot of a sand dune with, maybe, the silhouette of an oryx side on to the camera; and it would have been one of the best photos I had ever taken. But that is not my life. Instead, I grabbed my phone and hastily took a few vaguely out of focus pictures of my neighbours cement covered wall and a lamp post, complete with weeds slowly cracking the building apart. Within five minutes the display had ended and a wet, grey, very typically British winter's day had set in.  The photo is unedited in any way. Only just now have I spotted that there was a pigeon sitting on top of the lamp post and I'm pleased that she's there because it adds a little more character to the shot.

Sunset, London, Straford, England, 365 project, cityscape, lamp post, chimney, pigeon
The view from my bedroom window. At least I managed to keep our satellite dish out of frame.


2 comments:

  1. Jason, I don't quite see how the lamp post is going to look different as time goes on, different times of day with the scenery I get, but not with the seasons. I feel that this may not work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't think that was what I was really saying but I take your point. But there is always variation if you look close enough.

    ReplyDelete