Sunday 22 September 2013

365 Project: Photo 265

I find that the best way to relax and unwind after a long weekend at a wedding, staying up til 5am and travelling half way across the country is to help your friends rip out their old kitchen. These are the same friends I've been helping for the last few weeks and this is the last major job on the list. The existing kitchen was, ummm, disgusting; both in decor and the state of cleanliness. We weren't sure that the previous owner had ever cleaned it. When I was removing the kitchen cupboards I put my hand on the top of one of them and sighed in despair as I felt my fingers sink in to decades of grease. It was only once I had them down off the wall that I realised the grease had also become quite a substantial fly graveyard. It took a lot of cleaning for my hands to feel even vaguely hygienic again, and it was some two days before the brown staining finally disappeared.

This beautiful specimen was their extractor fan. We had no real idea whether it was still live or not so I was rather weary as I removed it. The all pervading yellow cast to the photo is not because my white balance was off, everything was just engrained with grease. That dark bit on the bottom right is actually a stalactite of fat: I didn't even know that could happen. The only thing more repellent than this was how it looked on the inside; I affectionately referred to it as the Devil's Anus.


No comments:

Post a Comment