Saturday 5 October 2013

365 Project: Photo(s) 278

A bit of a cheat today; two photos. A few days ago I made a little mobius strip out of paper and mentioned that I was going to try to make two interlocking, double twist mobius strips out of a bagel using one single, continuous cut. Well, here it is. I didn't really have a clue what I was doing to start with so I drew on where I would need to cut. My first attempt was a bit of a mess and ended up in several pieces. This was my second try and worked much better. I would say the two key requirements to pull this off are a sharp knife and lots of patience.


The theme today was Two Become One, which is sort of the opposite of what I've done here where I made one bagel into two; still, I'm pleased with the result. As a reminder, a mobius strip is generally a surface with only one side and one boundary component (edge). This isn't what I've made here as these strips have a double twist. For anyone feeling adventurous there is a handy guide here on how to make your own. And if you really want a challenge then I recommend something like a Klein Flask - that should keep you busy.


No comments:

Post a Comment