Thursday 6 June 2013

365 Project: Photo 157

Today I went to Cheltenham for the Science Festival and, boy, was I excited. It was full on geekery on a level I hadn't experienced before and I was very much in my element. There are 3 session per day; morning, afternoon and evening; and talks/demos normally last an hour or so. Today I went to a talk on how to find exoplanets and the likelihood of finding life there. All branches of science are covered to some degree and I highly recommend a visit if you're in any way interested in science. Most excitingly though, more important than just acquiring new knowledge, is being in an environment where there is such enthusiasm for science, such lust for learning and a sheer joy in the pursuit to understand nature. I'm going to be a regular at this festival for years to come.

Anyway, this photo is of Gustav Holst, a native of Cheltenham. This statue is in the fountain in the main square which is also the site of the festival. the theme was supposed to be Sunset Reflection, this is more like a Sunset Silhouette but, frankly, who cares?

Oh, and there is frequently a debate about which is the best movement of the The Planets; it's Mars. End of.


No comments:

Post a Comment