Saturday 13 April 2013

365 Project: Photo 103

We went up the ArcelorMittal Orbit today. I was quite excited initially as I love any opportunity to get up high and have a look about but that excitement soon turned to frustration as I quickly realised that a lot of the vista was compromised by both the wire mesh that covered the outside areas but also the structure itself. It's almost like it was built the wrong way around; to the south and the west there are unbroken views to docklands and the City respectively. I can't help but feel, though, that many people are going to want to look the other way towards what was the London 2012 Olympic Site and is slowly becoming the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. Sadly, the views in these directions are all universally blocked; there's certainly no wide open, panoramic opportunities; the best you can do is to stick a long lens on and try to get some detail shots. So it would appear that they have managed to make a viewing platform without a view. Good job.

Compounding this is that I don't care about the Olympics; I don't have that well spring of good will and joy that many people seem to. I didn't watch any of the Olympics, either on TV or live. I'm pleased that it went well and that Team GB was successful but basically I just don't care about and, for me, there is no justification, under any circumstances, for spending £12,200,000,000 on a month of sport. None. And there's not even a good view of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment