Monday 23 May 2011

Vietnam, Here I Come...

Exciting news. I recently booked tickets for a trip to Vietnam. I'll be going with my wife and a good friend of ours. The two of them have covered much of South East Asia before on trips together and with others whereas this will be my first ever foray into Asia. The plan is to fly into Hanoi in the north and visit the spectacular Ha Long Bay (seriously, Google it, it's amazing); then to travel by bus and train through to the south via Da Nang and such places to Ho Chi Minh City. From there we will get another flight to Siam Reap in Cambodia with a view to seeing the famous Angkor Wat temple complex, which would be another childhood dream come true for me, almost on a par with seeing Machu Picchu.

This trip looks very much like it will fit in with my preferred way of being on holiday - covering lots of ground, seeing lots of things, not allowing too much time for resting and just generally immersing myself in the culture. I'm particularly keen to try out as many of Vietnam's famous street food vendors as possible - quick, cheap, healthy and tasty.

As well as following my usual plan of trying to get as many good landscape shots as I can, I'm going to force myself to step out of my comfort zone and do some portrait work too; and not just of my fellow travellers. This does, however, raise the interesting question of Model Release Forms. No reputable company would ever by a photo of a recognisable human without an accompanying Model Release Form. These basically just say that the subject of the photo gives up any commercial rights to the photographer; this is all very normal and standard. Where it could get difficult though, is if my subject doesn't speak any English because, I'll be honest, my Vietnamese isn't what it used to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment